Monday, October 5, 2009

Mykel

This is my adorable cousin Mykel:




Mykel just turned 19. My aunt and uncle had a big get together tonight for him. My uncle (Mykel's dad) is a minister in Chelsea, Alabama so we all met at the church there. Our family was there and so were a lot of their church members and friends. We were there to support and show our gratitude to Mykel.

Mykel joined the army and is leaving Tuesday for basic training.

I knew it was going to be sad...Mykel is one of the funniest people ever. I thought we would all go, eat some yummy food, then give our hugs and kisses. I was wrong. After socializing, Mykel was handed an award from the mayor. Then Mykel himself decided to speak....and it was emotional. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. He thanked everyone, especially his parents. Then everyone in the place gathered around Mykel to pray for him. Even a man of steel would have been crying at this point.

I am so very proud of Mykel, as if everyone in my family. He has an amazing heart and can make a tree laugh. He has a heart for God and now he will be defending our country. I hope he grows from this experience and I wish him the best of luck!

And of course, it made me think of my own soldier...whom I love and miss more everyday. What great guys we have fighting for our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment